The motto above says it all. For more than forty years, ASP has had a single-minded focus on providing law enforcement officers with the finest tools for the safe performance of their duties, and industry-leading training in the use of those tools. Every day, professionals in over 100 countries trust our products and training with their lives—so they can’t afford less than the very best.
WHAT WE DO
ASP designs and manufactures products in several distinct, yet interrelated product categories:
- Expandable Batons: Our flagship product—so legendary and dominant in the field that a law enforcement officer is likely to refer to any baton simply with the word “asp”... though there is only one true, original ASP® brand. And with over 60 different combinations of mechanism, size, materials and finish, there’s an ASP Baton for every officer, agency and mission.
- Restraints: With its entry into the handcuff business, ASP shook up a category of products that had gone generations without many innovations. Our handcuffs have raised the bar on street-smart features, speed, ease-of-use and safety, and set new benchmarks of quality and precision.
- Tactical Lighting: From pocket-sized backup lights to full-featured tactical workhorses, each ASP flashlight is crafted to exacting standards, using the finest components money can buy. ASP lights are manufactured on our own assembly lines, not in mass-production “OEM” factories, ensuring that we consistently meet the high standards of precision and quality that our demanding customers expect from us.
- Power: We wanted batteries and charging accessories to match the performance of our lighting solutions… so we started making our own. ASP rechargeable and primary batteries are engineered for maximum run time, safety and reliability, yet at “everyday battery” prices.
- OC “Pepper Spray”: With their finely-finished, machined and knurled aluminum barrels, ASP’s OC Defenders look like high-end flashlights – not like typical, obvious pepper spray products.
- Training Tools: From our famous Red Guns, to purpose-designed handcuffs and batons and more, our gear reflects our heritage of world-class practical training, and our commitment to officer safety.
ASP also provides, at no cost, nearly $2MM a year in training to law enforcement officers. This training—sought after by agencies around the world—is the gold standard on the integrated use of batons, restraints and flashlights.
ASP spends a significant percentage of its revenues on research and development, design, prototyping, lab testing and field testing. In order to make it to market and wear our brand, a product must reflect what we call “ASP DNA”:
- It must be an innovative solution to a real-world problem—meeting a clear need in a new way, or improving on an existing solution
- It must be demonstratively the best in its class.
- It must be unique, and whenever possible, patentable. In fact, ASP products are covered by some 150 patents.
In short, new ASP products must make a positive contribution to the profession, while meeting or exceeding our high standards of design, quality and reliability.
Dr. Kevin Parsons, CEO: ASP was founded in 1976 by Kevin Parsons, PhD (Police Management). Dr. Parsons began his career as a police academy instructor in firearms and defense tactics, and later designed use-of-force training systems for major law enforcement clients across the country. Over the years, he has been a highly sought-after consultant, lecturer and expert witness, testifying over 500 times in defense of police agencies in nearly all 50 states. Dr. Parsons’ training focus was on the necessity of systems that were tactically sound, operationally feasible and legally defensible—and this real-world, street-proven approach informs the design of ASP products and training programs to this day.
Management team: Company leadership is rounded out by a multidisciplinary team with backgrounds in diverse areas including law enforcement and military, manufacturing and product development, sales and marketing, finance, logistics, technology and more. The team coordinates the activities of ASP employees around the world, all dedicated to the mission of producing and distributing the finest products of their kind, and supporting them with the best service in the industry.